OTHER PAGES ~
AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE Overview AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE(Master List .A - B) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master list C to G) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master List, H to M) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master List N to R) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master list S to Z) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master List SOUTHAMPTON) . AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING IN HAMPSHIRE AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION LISTS Page 1 AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION LISTS Page 2 AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION LISTS.Page 3.Minor manufacturers . AVIATION MUSEUMS SIGNIFICANT EVENTS
These pages list all known aviation-related sites in the county(airfields,airstrips,helipads,manufacturers ,museums etc) but excluding CRASH SITES which are in a seperate section on the Hampshire Airfields website Clicking on underlined entries will take you to the much more detailed individual Airfield pages at Hampshire Airfields. CADLAND:Mr Reg M Balston built an ornithopter here in 1895.It was never flown. .CALSHOT:Opened 29 March 1913 as Calshot Naval Air Station .Later became RAF Calshot. Used until 1st April 1961 when operations ceased.WATER AERODROME.(Grid ref.SU482025) .CHANDLERS FORD/TWYFORD MOORS.Heliport operated by Twyford Moors Helicopters during '70s. The heliport was behind their premises in Chestnut Avenue .CHANDLERS FORD:Dispersed Spitfire production during WW2.(Factory only- no flying) .CHATTIS HILL:RFC airfield opened Sept 1917 at Grid ref.SU335355. Used until end of 1919.New airfield at Grid ref.SU330362 opened in 1940/41 . Used to fly out Spitfires assembled on site.Flying ceased 1945.Site closed 31 May 1948. .CHATTIS HILL:Present day strip (2008) at N51.07.06/W1.31.38. Runway NNE/SSW . .CHERITON: In September 1925 , military manoeuvres made use of an aerodrome nearCheriton. It is likely that this was a very temporary arrangement. The Precise location was possibly near Cheriton Wood.(Info via Mike Holder). .CHEWTON GLEN:Hotel helipad(50º45.00N/001º41.00W) at Chewton Glen Hotel ,about 4 miles east of Christchurch.In use since 1970. .CHILBOLTON:The site of what was later the RAF airfield was used as an occasional strip by private light aircraft during the 30s . .CHILBOLTON:5108N/0126W.RAF airfield.Used by RAF & USAAF in WW2.RAF left Nov '46. New occupants Supermarine arrived Feb '47 and used field for test flying until1961. In 1979 part of field reopened for general aviation. .CHILBOLTON:Stonefield Park,Martins Lane.Hampshire Light Planes Ltd have premises here. (1.6 km S of Chilbolton Village) .CHILBOLTON:Flying Pictures have a helipad here about half a kilometer east of the perimeter of the old RAF field at N51:08:03/W1:25:30.Aerial shots on Multimap show what appears to be a strip for light aircraft in addition to the helipad .Christchurch: During WW1 aircraft parts were produced at Griffiths Bros in Fairfield.(Photo below from Sue Newman's collection)
At the moment I do not know which aircraft company they were working for.
. CHRISTCHURCH:5044/0144W.First used June 1926 as "Burrys Field" by Surrey Flying Service (land in NW corner of later airfield).1930 new field started about 1 km to the east,Burrys field still in use. In 1933/34 the fields became one.In 1934 became BOURNEMOUTH AERODROME with scheduled services.Airspeed factory later built on east end of site. During WW2 used by RAF,RN ,USAAF.Postwar civil flying and de Haviland aircraft production. Flying ceased officially 1964,but still used by light aircraft until 1972. The picture below shows Christchurch before the building of the hard runway in the 50s. .CHRISTCHURCH/MEXE(later MVEE):Helipad at government experimental establishment,used from 60s till closure in early 90s. .CHRISTCHURCH:Scintillex Factory used during WW2 for dispersed Airspeed Horsa production. .CHRISTCHURCH/SRDE(later Plessey/Seimens):5044N/0144W.Helipad used since mid sixties by successive occupants of industrial site. .CHRISTCHURCH:Stewarts Gardenlands.Located at Somerford about half a mile NE of the site of Christchurch Airfield. There are occasional visits by helicopters to this location,and in June 2003 ST-10 G-AYKG arrived by road and was placed in the middle of a maze of maize(supposedly a tourist attraction.) .CHURCH CROOKHAM/QUEEN ELIZABETH BARRACKS:5115N/0050W.Army Helipad. .CHURT/WISHANGER FARM.51.09.02N/0.48.59W.Private Strip here 2007.Runway Grass WSW/ENE. .COLEMORE COMMON:Petersfield: there is a private airstrip at 51 03 764N/01 00 580W(610 ft ASL), about 5 miles south of Alton operated by theHampshire Microlight Club. .CRAWLEY/Barton Ashes light a/c strip at 51.07.35N/01.22.06W .CRAWLEY/New Barn Farm . Stratton Aircraft Services base.51.06.45N/01.22.24W. .CROFTEN AEROPLANE SERVICES:Have premises in Russell Rd.Lee-on-Solent .CRONDELL/Coxmoor Fram- airstrip possibly no longer in use. .CRUX EASTON(near Highclere):Family home of Geoffrey de Haviland. .DAMERHAM.(N50.59/W001.50) During the pre D Day build up the US Army used a strip located in the grounds of West Park House, near Damerham, on the B3708, 3 miles westof Fordingbridge (by which name this strip was also possibly known). Used by L-4s and L-5s of VII Corps. .DE HAVILAND:Manufacturer,factory at CHRISTCHURCH Airfield and flight test facility at BOURNEMOUTH /HURN. See CHRISTCHURCH & AIRSPEED .DENNNY LODGE, Beaulieu , Starfish bombing decoy SF17B /Civil Bombing Decoy C93B . World War 2 bombing decoy, built in January 1941 as a permanent Starfish site.Used totry and lure enemy bombers away from their intended target of Southampton. This was done by lighting controlled fires to give the impression of a town on fire from a bombing raid. It was also the site of a ‘QL’ decoy, which simulated the lights of an army camp, which was built in late 1942. Location: SU 409 038. DUDMOOR FARM(near Avon):Located just to the east of Hurn Airport,there was a private airstrip here which was out of use by 2007. .DURLEY AIRSTRIP:Hill Farm,Netherhill Lane ,Durley(about 7 miles east of Southampton. Currently the base for Aero Antiques (Ron Souch).
Runway(grass) NE/SW at 50.56.02N/01.15.56W.Hangar on north side.
.EARLS FARM DOWN:WW1 Landing ground.NO DETAILS (?) .EAST BOLDRE:Flying field that preceded the RFC airfield on part of the same site. Used from 1910 to 1912 by the New Forest Flying School.From 1915 to 1919 used by RFC(later RAF)then closed. During the years 1945 to 1950 used as Drop Zone for RAF Beaulieu. (located on the far side of the Beaulieu /Lymington Road). .EASTLEIGH:North End.R.H.Eggleton experimented with gliders here . He built a total of eleven and tested them at this location during 1913/14.Over 100 successful flights were made.Two of his gliders are shown below. .EASTLEIGH:North Stoneham Farm.Meadows here used by Eric Rowland Moon in 1910/12 for flight trials using his aircraft "Moonbeam 2" .EASTLEIGH:See SOUTHAMPTON/EASTLEIGH. .EASTLIEGH: Twyford Moors Helicopters operated from a site on Chestnut Avenue (between Falkland Road and Chestnut Close) in the 1970s. The company went into liquidation in 1975 and ceased operating. .EAST MEON/Dunscombe Farm(or Duncombe Farm): There is a Micro strip here at Ref 680215(2005) .EAST MEON/SMALLDOWN-Laydean Farm microlight strip.. .EAST TISTED:Private Airstrip in use (when?). .EAST TYTHERLEY: There was in 1999 an airstrip at Oaklands Farm - to the northeast of the village- current status unknown .EAST WORLDHAM(Near Alton) There is an airstrip here at Shelleys Barn,Shelley Lane. In use since 1999. .ESSEBOURNE MANOR Hotel .Hurstbourne Tarrant. Helipad 2006/7 FARLEY MOUNT:Private airstrip at N51.02.60 /W01.26.16(Grid ref:X439500 Y128000) active since 80s. Was home to a number of C336/C337s in 2000/2001- now all departed. .FARLINGTON:In the 70s the was a strip here operated by G G Fossbery . G-AJRK (Auster J/1) was based there. No other details known.(info from Martin Burney) .FARLEY FARM:5102N/01.26.Private strip -Grass runway NE/SW 840yds. .FARNBOROUGH:5116N/0045W.First used 1905 by the Balloon Factory.Site of Codys first powered flight 16/10/08. Then used by RFC,later RAF.Became RAE in 1918 and used by them since. Opened for civil traffic late 80s,preparatory to departure of RAE.Site of SBAC Show. . Picture Postcard showing Col.S F Cody .FARNBOROUGH:5117N/0046W.Gliding site operated by RAE Gliding Club. .FAWLEY:Websters Field.Site of Eric Rowland Moon's first attempts at flight in 1910 using his first aircraft "Moonbeam 1" .FLEETLANDS:5050N/0110W.Royal Navy Air Yard.On west side of Portsmouth Harbour at Gosport. Used since WW2 for maintenance of navy aircraft. Now only for Helicopters.Helipad only- no landing facilities for fixed wing aircraft. .FLOWERDOWN,WINCHESTER:The August 21 1919 edition of Flight lists this as the location of a RAF Aerodrome"available for emergency use by Civilian machines". However the RAF wireless school was here from 1919 to 1929. Therafter it was used by the RNAS untill 1956 and then by GCHQ until 1970. There was no airfield .The photo below shows a class at the wireless school in 1919. . FORDINGBRIDGE: The first brush with aviation here occurred on July 19th 1910 when William McArdle landed here during the course of a flight from East Boldre. The postcard below shows the occasion. . . FORDINGBRIDGE: It is believed that there is/was a strip here -possibly at or near Grid ref SU132155(2008) .FORDINGBRIDGE: US Army unit records indicate that L-4s and L-5s of VII Corps were based at "Fordingbridge" during the build up to D Day, but this probably refers to either Godshill or Damerham strips, both of which were near Fordingbridge. (GODSHILL(N50.56/W001.44), is in Wiltshire on the B3708, 2 miles east of Fordingbridge, this strip was used by L-4s of an unknown unit (but most probably VII Corps). .FORDINGBRIDGE: It has been reported (April 2008) that the 2515 Sqn ATC have aquired a Grumman AA5 for conversion into a flight simulator . It will be at the ATC premises at Barton Rd. .FORT GRANGE :see Gosport:There is a Wessex(XS122)parked in the grounds of the Ft. Grange Medical School. .FORT MONKTON(Gosport):In October 1909 the Portsmouth Aero Club was formed. The War Office allowed the use of 12 acres near Fort Monkton for "experimental work". It is not known what use - if any , was made of the site. .FORT ROWNER :see GOSPORT .FRENSHAM PONDS/Wishangar Farm:Nr Farnham. There is a strip here at SU833396.Runway ENE/WSW immediately to the West of Frensham Great Pond. .FRITH END,Blacknest:Private Airstrip in use (when?). .FROST HILL FARM:Grid ref SU517525.Used 1940/41 as forced landing ground by aircraft from RAF Odiham. In mid 1942 wire mesh runways laid and field designated as ALG but not known to have been used. Site cleared after WW2,but still in use now by AAC helicopters from Middle Wallop. .FROXFIELD/Laydean Farm: There is /was a strip here ( 2003) being used my microlights. The approx location is Ref:694263 .GLIDDEN FARM :There is a private airstrip at 50 56 05N/01 03 23W (450 ft ASL),3 Miles NNW of Waterlooville .GORE FARM:see New Milton. .GOSPORT:5157N/0035E.FORT ROWNER & FORT GRANGE.First aviation use of site in 1909 . Unsuccessful flight of pusher biplane built by RN officers.Airfield laid out between the two Forts and opened for use by RFC mid 1914 . Subsequently used by RNAS until closure May 1956. Memorial plaque on the site.Now(2006) the forts and surrounding area are HMS Sultan- large numbers of helicopters use for engineering training. .GOSPORT/Gosport Aviation Society,Priddys Hard :Private aviation collection.Have Dragonfly/S-51 VX595. .GOSPORT:ST GEORGES BARRACKS. RN Helipad. .GRATELEY:MANOR HOUSE FARM.(Near Middle Wallop) There is a private strip here at 51.11N/ 001.37W. .