OTHER PAGES ~
AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE Overview AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE(Master List .A - B) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master list C to G) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master List, H to M) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master List N to R) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master list S to Z) AVIATION SITES in HAMPSHIRE (Master List SOUTHAMPTON) . AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING IN HAMPSHIRE AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION LISTS Page 1 AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION LISTS Page 2 AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION LISTS.Page 3.Minor manufacturers . AVIATION MUSEUMS SIGNIFICANT EVENTS
These pages list all known aviation-related sites in the county(airfields,airstrips,helipads,manufacturers ,museums etc) but excluding CRASH SITES which are in a seperate section on the Hampshire Airfields website Clicking on underlined entries will take you to the much more detailed individual Airfield pages at Hampshire Airfields. SARISBURY GREEN.In 1987 Ron Souch established a workshop here for restoration of vintage aircraft. .SEVEN BARROWS(Near Litchfield...South of Newbury- West of the A34):In 1909 Moore-Brabazon erected 2 airplane sheds , intended for his Voison aircraft.Geoffrey de Haviland built a biplane here and unsuccessfully attempted to fly it in April 1910(Left picture below). His 2nd machine(Right picture below) flew successfully on Sept 10th 1910.A monument marks the site. The monument was moved a short distance to the west some years ago to accomodate the widening of the A34. .SHEARDOWN FARM,Hook Lane.(W of Basingstoke)SU568535.There has been an active airstrip here for the past 3 years(approx).Grass strip NE/SW. Possibly also known as Garden Piece (info from R Ward) .SHEDFIELD:A private strip reported here in the 1990s.Resident was G-EBZN DH.60X Moth operated by I B Grace.. .SHERFIELD ENGLISH-Broxmore Farm-unconfirmed private strip.Any further details most welcome. From Stephen Davies comes the info that planning permission for this was refused due to neighbours objections. .SOBERTON :Grid ref. SU620155.RAF emergency landing ground.Opened for use July 1940. After WW2 used as practice forced landing field for several years. .SOPLEY:5046N/0146W.RAF Radar establishment close to RAF WINKTON.Opened 1941,closed Sept 1974.Non flying unit. .SOPLEY FARM:A private strip was in use here in 2007.Located to the west of the Sopley Camp on the Sopley to Bransgore road .SOUTHAMPTON.See seperate page .SOUTHBOURNE/Hengistbury Head:RAF Radar Station 1941 till closed Sept 1945.Non flying unit. .SOUTH GORLEY/HUCKLESBROOK FARM.Private airstrip here in 60s. .SOUTHSEA:By April 1910 The Hampshire Aero Club had a headquarters here in Palmerston Road. . SOUTHSEA:Picture above shows Avro Transport Co Avro 536 G-EADC (K-137) at Southsea in 1919. Avro Transport Company operated Avro 504s G-EACW & G-EADM on Joy riding at Southsea in 1919. The top picture below shows a Farman Hydro-Aeroplane on the beach at East Southsea probably on the 7th July 1912. The lower picture shows"Commander Samson mooring his hydroplane at Southsea after flying from Eastchurch". . . . Picture above is from a postcard showing M. Salmet after his landing on Southsea Common in August 1912(possibly on the 21st?).
SOUTHWICK.Private airstrip here in 80s.Also in 2006 reports of strip at New Barns Farm
.SOUTHWICK PARK.50.51.51N/01.06.15W.(5 km ene of Fareham).During the pre D Day build up the US AArmy used an airstrip located at New Barns Farm, a short distance from Southwick House (the Forward HQ of SHAEF). This strip was used by L-5s of the attached 112th Liason Squadron. Pilots and other personnel were accommodated in tents along the east hedge of the field. The strip was also used by visiting L-4s and L-5s of other US units, and RAF Austers. .SPARSHOLT: Nr. Winchester.The Lainston House Hotel has a helipad for the convenience of guests .STARVE ACRE: N51.19.19/W00.47.25. A strip here was used from circa 1964 by the AAC to teach Tactical Field landings etc( using Beavers ). and for AOP9 ops. Other aircraft seen to land there were Army helicopters including Allouettes. Harriers were reported to have also used the strip on rare occasions. Sources state that no use was reported after circa 1998. .STEVENTON: Nr. Basingstoke.Aviation and Marine Interiors have a workshop near the village(SU552482)
where they do overhauls and rebuilds of light aircraft. There is no formal airstrip
.STOCKBRIDGE:Home of the late TOMMY SOPWITH. .STOCKBRIDGE.see HILDON. .STONEY CROSS:5054N0139W.RAF airfield ,opened Nov 1942.Used by RAF & USAAF.Closed to flying 1946. Returned to Forestry Commission in 1956. .SWAY/:"K"SITE:Grass airfield used 1940-1942 for occasional emergency storage of aircraft from CHISTCHURCH ADEE .GORDLETON MILL SWAY:The Gordleton Mill Hotel between Sway and Pennington has a helipad at 50º45.87N/001º35.15W .SWANWICK:The new London Area ATC centre at Swanwick opened in January 2002. .TADLEY/HAWLEY FARM: There is/was in 1999 a private strip here- present status unknown .TALBOT VILLAGE.See Bournemouth. .THORNESS BAY:Micro strip now closed (2006). .THORNEY ISLAND:5049N/0055W.RAF airfield opened late 1937.Used by RAF until 31 March 1976. Used for storage by Britten Norman for a short while. In 1982 handed over to the Army for non flying use.However,AAC helicopters occasionally visit,and gliding also takes place here. .THORNEY ISLAND ,Baker Barracks:The Army operate a helipad at 50 49 52N/00 55 72W on the edge of the old airfield site. .THRUXTON :5112N/0136W.RAF Airfield opened in 1941 and used until 1946 when leased to civil users. Still in use today by light aircraft.Perimeter is motor racing track. .THRUXTON: Lains Farm is to the South side of Thruxton Airfield on the other side of the dual carriageway. Runway approx 800 metresWSW -ENE.Hangar at51.11.53N/01.36.39W. It was in use 2-3 years ago with G-BAHL based- present status not known .TIDWORTH:THere was a landing ground here by 1912 in use by the RFC and this is mentioned by"Flight" in 1927 as still in use . .TIPNOR:grid ref.SU638034.RFC/RAF Kite Balloon Station ,used from 1917 to August 1919 when closed. .TITCHFIELD/FAREHAM:Grid ref.SU 530070 RAF anti-aircraft Barrage Balloon Base 1938 to 1945.No 12 Balloon Centre.Non flying unit.
Was base for
924Sq(24 Balloons) covered Eastleigh.
930Sq(50 Balloons including 10 waterborne) covered Southampton.
932Sq(32 Balloons) covered Portsmouth.
933Sq(24 Balloons) covered Gosport.
Had Spitfire XVI '6820M' (ex TE477)as a gate guard in the 1950s.
. Photo below shows Barrage Balloons deployed. . .TITCHFIELD-Carron Row Farm.Lat / Long N5051-W00113.Operated by R F Hammond .. .TITCHFIELD-Posbrook :Private strip here(when?).. .TITCHFIELD:There is possibly some kind of microlight strip here .Has anyone got any information?. .Also a helipad reported somewhere in the vicinity. .TYNLEY HALL HOTEL,Basingstoke:Helipad ,2006. .VERWOOD:Decoy Airfield Q160B for RAF Hurn. Verwood was of the ‘Q’ type decoy. It was first used as a decoy for RAF Hurn and later for RAF Ibsley and was documented in use in 1942. Location : SU 100 066. . .VICKERS-ARMSTRONG.See BOURNEMOUTH/HURN .VALLEY COURT Scrapyard (BEECH):Operated by Air Salvage International. Located on A339 behind Hillside Nurseries. .WALKERIDGE FARM:Private airstrip used during 70/80s.Located near Hannington ,about 2 miles southeast of Kingsclere. .WARNFORD/Bere Farm;A private strip was in use here in 1999-2002.current status not known. .WARSASH:No 10 Group RAF formed here 1st April 1918.(no airfield). .WATERLOOVILLE:Glidden FARM.airstrip.. .WEST END(nr Southampton)C C Lovell had a strip somewhere in the area during the 70s. G-ATBL DH60G Gipsy Moth was apparently based there.Nothing further known.(info from Martin Burney) .WEST LISS:Berry Grove Farm:Grid SU770288 Lat/ Long N5130/W00054.There is a private airstrip here. .WEST MEON: There are two strips here. One is at Hall Place Farm, the other at Foley Farm( Grid:664257). There is also possibly a third at Peak Hill /Farm at grid :661250. .WEST MEON HUT:Helipad.2006.(SU650262) .WESTON (near Southampton ):It is believed that Spartan Air Services used a strip in this area in the 30s. No further details at this time. .WEST TISTED :Oct 2006 - A strip has been reported here. .WEYHILL.See ANDOVER .WHALE ISLAND/PORTSMOUTH.4th APRIL 1903- S F Cody experimented with man carrying kite here and also at HMS Vernon. .WINCHESTER: In 1910 Mr A C Hawkins and Mr Bertram Ogilvie built a Triplane(image below) here with a view to competing for the Baron De Forest prize . It is not when the machine flew. They tested the aircraft in the vicinity of Pitt village and Down and reached a height of 61 metres . Ogilvie was a New Zealander but Hawkins may have come from the Stoneham area (near Eastleigh) .WINCHESTER/BESTS FARM:Private airstrip herein 60/70s. .WINCHESTER/St JOHN MOORE BARRACKS:5105N/0012W.Army Helipad. .WINCHESTER(N51.03/W001.20):There was a strip used by liason aircraft during the build-up to D-Day located in the area of what later became the Montgomery of Alamein School(to the west of Winchester alongside Sarum Road). The aircraft were L-4s of the 9th Infantry Division Artillery HQ. .WINCHESTER:BUSHFIELD CAMP(N51.02.36/W001.20.00).There are unconfirmed reports of a US Army Liason strip here during 1943-44. Possibly used post war by liason aircraft.Exact location uncertain . However Google Earth shows a cleared strip in the bushes to the North of the camp that may be an indication. .WINCHESTER:The photo below shows the pioneer aviator Mr Sydney Pickles flying at an unidentified site at Winchester - probably in 1913 . .WICKHAM Frith Farm:There are unconfirmed reports of a private strip here. (Oct 2006) .WINTON:RFC Winton ,see BOURNEMOUTH. .WINKTON:5046N/0145W.RAF airfield opened in 1943 and used April -July 1944 by USAAF,after which the airfield was closed. .WONSTON.Dispersed Spitfire production during WW2.Factory only. .WOODGREEN:Decoy airfield Q161A. The dummy airfield (of the ‘Q’ type) decoy for RAF Ibsley airfield which was nearby. Fragments of runway lights can still be found in the long grass. Location SU 185 162. It was documented as active on the 12th August 1942. . .WORTHY DOWN:5106N/0119W.RAF airfield opened August 1917.Used by RAF until transferred to Royal Navy 24 May 1939. Used by RN till 1960 when taken over by Army Pay Corps. There is a helipad at 51 06 63N/01 19 03W in use by the RAPC on the old airfield site. .